About Me

Recent Graduate from Textile Design student at Nottingham Trent University. My work consists of a combination of manual and digital print processes. Drawing is the key element throughout all my Textiles practice. (ALL the images posted on this blog are my own work and should not be used elsewhere without my permission. Thank you.) ©Yashmin Siraj 2012

Saturday 24 March 2012

Second Year Textiles (Live Project)

The second project for the second year, was a depart from the self directed routine that we have had in the past modules, this was a live brief set by a textiles company. From the four companies that set us briefs, I chose to do a brief that was very interiors focused, the company Harlequin set a very open minded brief of which we had quite a lot of room to be creative, innovative and also experimental. However with this brief I did have to focus on the target market, the interior focus and also what the brand has already got to offer to the interior textiles market and how I could create fabric designs that would work within the established brand identity.


The concept that my group and I decided upon was a rural/woodland theme, focusing on birds, habitats and plants.


I decided to take a very graphic and illustrative approach to this theme, I looked particularly at birds and the feathers in particular. The visual research and drawings i produced combined very hard graphic, liners mark making with more fluid watery inky backgrounds. I also experimented with layering, contrast of textures and also combination and blending of colours.


Preliminary drawings,




Experimenting with colour and ink,





All images ©Yashmin Siraj

No comments:

Post a Comment